Saturday, October 26, 2013

Waves

Today I was able to spend some alone time at one of my favorite places on earth (so far) - our home at the beach.  I took my usual 4 mile walk but this time stopped for an hour or more and just sat and watched the waves.  My favorite waves to watch are in the Philippines but these come in a close second.

Waves are always a balm to my soul.  They are such a great representation of the absolute, unstoppable power of my Creator.  They are constant - never stopping movement.  They cannot be affected by humans in any way.  Yes, we can make moats around our sand castles and we can divert the flow for a little while but soon the waves will overpower any barrier we put up.  Yet, they are gentle and soothing.  They are fun and safe to play in and sometimes look more like a ripple than a force of power.  All this reminds me of the absolute sovereignty of God.  His power is incredible, usually hidden by His gentleness, but I never want to lose sight of the power behind that gentleness.

And, so today, I cried out to my gentle, powerful God - all the time knowing that He will not change my pain but that He is the ultimate power and strength to carry it and me.  I certainly need a power and strength beyond my own because I am feeling weak and faltering journeying through this pain.  I also know that He is, and will continue to be, gentle with me.  He is not setting a timeline for improvement, He continues to provide friends to encourage me, He continues to assure me that this pain will not consume me or my family, and He continues to meet me each day and remind me that He is present.

What a gift it is to be able to see the ocean in motion - to be able to see God's creation at work!  I know it is a gift to see God at work around me as well.  Father, help me never to be so consumed by this journey that I miss You around me.  Thank you for not forsaking me.  (and for the song "Yellow" coming on just now - oh, what a God of details You are.)

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for this. I will read whatever you post, whenever you post it.

    ReplyDelete