Sunday, February 23, 2014

Gratitude List

This post is primarily for me.  It is becoming easier, and happens more often, for me to be overwhelmed by the black cloud that is always near by.  I want to have a list, in black and white, to remind me of all that God did - during and since - Caleb's death.  He has been Good, Gracious, Generous, Constant, Kind, Gentle, Faithful, and Present.  I don't want to forget His Goodness.

  • We had Caleb's Senior pictures taken - 2 weeks before he died - and Jessica caught Caleb's true smile and caught him laughing - I hadn't seen that smile in a while.  I had asked her to take the pictures in November and she scheduled it in October.  Truly, God's gift and protection for me.
  • Troy's trip was cancelled and he was in town.
  • The chaplain who was on call was so encouraging and helpful.
  • God met me in a very real way that day.  I can't even explain it but He talked with me all day, as if He was right next to me.  Some things He told me are:
    • yes, I am a true believer, not just a pew sitter
    • the hard work I have put into my walk with God is showing in grace
    • God is sovereign and in control and was not absent
    • I am strong and it's good
    • He will walk this with me
    • I have wonderful friends because they are quality people
    • also, because I have been a good friend
    • God knew this was coming and orchestrated events to make it easier
    • Caleb's day was decided before he was born   
  • My friends continued to call on me weekly for months
  • Caleb's friends continue to stay in contact and invited us to their graduation events
  • TuHS treated Caleb with respect and remembered him well
  • Abby put flowers on Caleb's chair at graduation so I would know where he was sitting
  • Matt helped out Josh
  • Patrick and Tyler both stepped in to help Nathan - plus his friends Josh and Brandon
  • Craig went to fly with Samantha, her Ecuadorian teacher was fantastic, Kindy has stepped in since
  • Dougy Center had an opening
  • Nathan has enjoyed the Dougy Center
  • Tiana turned to God through all this and has become a committed disciple and been baptized
  • Troy has had more opportunity to share his testimony
  • Jesse and Alex are truly gifts - to better deal with their own pain, they have taken over Caleb's role in Nathan's life and been wonderful big brothers/friends  
This is only a partial list.  I know there is much more I have pondered but I can't remember it right now so I reserve the right to edit this list as I remember more.  God has truly been Good.

No comments:

Post a Comment